Hello Paleos! I decided my first recipe should be one that is both flexible, comforting, easy, delicious, and one of my favorites. Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes is something that I miss from pre-Paleo. I wanted to make something that gave me that same warm comfort food feeling that I would get when eating potatoes, without all the guilt. So here it is! “Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Mash!”
When I used to eat a raw food diet, I always commented on how much raw cauliflower tasted like mashed potatoes. Well, it’s even better cooked and loaded up like the real thing. There are so many different ways to make this, it’s all up to your preference and how much time you want to spend. It can be as quick as 15 minutes, or as long as 45! If you are in a hurry, skip roasting the garlic and just stick it in with the cauliflower while you are steaming it. It’s also perfectly good if you leave off the last step of broiling it. But it just makes it that much yummier if you do.
To make roasting the garlic super easy, I highly recommend purchasing a garlic roaster. My favorite is the Roasted Garlic Express. I also recommend an Immersion Blender as well, as it makes it so easy to blend everything together right in the pot. This is the one I have Cuisinart Immersion Blender and it comes in so many different colors! (Oh, and it has like 2000 almost perfect reviews on Amazon.) 😀
Anyway, I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! Just try not to eat the entire thing in one sitting. (You’ll have to try really hard!)
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 medium to large head of cauliflower
- 3 Tbsp organic butter or fat of your choice + 1/2 Tbsp for coating
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Nutmeg or Paprika
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel most of the paper from the garlic and slice just enough of the top off so all cloves are visible.
- Pour some oil and salt into an oven safe dish.
- Place the garlic cut side up into the dish and pour the remaining oil on top, then cover the actual head of garlic with tinfoil.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until soft.
- ***If using the Roasted Garlic Express, follow only step 2. Then pour 3 Tbsp olive oil and a little salt in the dish. Place cut side down in machine and turn on. It will take about 20 minutes to cook.
- Meanwhile, chop the cauliflower into big chunks.
- Fill a pot with 1-2 inches of water and bring to a boil, then add a steamer basket and insert cauliflower, salt and pepper.
- Cover and steam for 10 minutes.
- ***If you are short on time and don't want to roast the garlic, slice 3 cloves and add to the steamer basket as well.
- When the garlic is done, carefully take out and place on a plate. Remove each clove using a knife then mash with a fork.
- When the cauliflower is done, drain the water and insert back into the same pot.
- Add butter, roasted garlic, salt, pepper, nutmeg or other spices to taste. You can also add a splash of coconut milk or heavy cream if you wish to make it creamier.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until mostly smooth.
- Now for the best part: Place everything into an oven safe dish and coat top with 1/2 Tbsp of extra butter. Broil until top is browned, about 5-10 minutes.