Brrrr! It’s getting chilly out there, and what better way to warm up than a nice hearty bowl of New England Clam Chowder? Well, with this paleo-ish version, you get the same comfy feel, without all the flour and potatoes weighing it down.
When I first thought of making a paleo version of New England Clam Chowder, I was stumped with how to get the same rich and hearty feel, with a healthy paleo twist. Coarsely chopped mushrooms and onions and almond flour were the perfect replacements to typical flour and potatoes. My (non-paleo) husband loved this so much, he requested this to go into our regular rotation!
- 4 cans of clams
- 1 large onion coarsely chopped
- 16 oz mushrooms coarsely chopped
- 1 cup organic heavy cream (you can use coconut or almond milk instead, but it will probably taste sweeter)
- 2 cups of broth (vegetable or other)
- 3 tbsp organic butter (or coconut oil)
- 4 tbsp almond flour
- dash of red pepper
- salt and pepper
- bay leaf
- Sautee onion and mushrooms in butter until soft with a little salt.
- Add flour and stir.
- Add broth, heavy cream, juice from clams, and seasonings.
- Let simmer for 15 - 20 minutes until flavors blend.
- Add clams and let cook for 2 minutes.
- That's it! Enjoy!