After a successful trip to one of the local farmstands, I came home with 4 lbs of zucchini, a huge bunch of fresh basil, and some gorgeous tomatoes. I wanted to make something that utilized all of these ingredients but could not decide on one particular set of flavors. So, I decided to make four different types of zucchini fritters and let everyone pick their favorite!
The flavors I chose for this batch were: Tomato & Basil, Tomato & Fresh Mozzarella, Basil & Feta, and Parsley & Parmesan. The Tomato & Basil is pure Paleo for those who do not wish to have milk ingredients, the rest are “mostly” Paleo. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs of Zucchini
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 4 Scallions chopped
- 1 cup of Almond Flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 onion
- 2/3 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh tomatoes (pureed)
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- 1/4 cup feta
- 1/4 cup fresh mozzarella
- some fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic
- red pepper flakes
- Start off by peeling the zucchini. Slice lengthwise into quarters. Remove any large seeds before shredding in a food processor.
- Lay out shredded zucchini on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Let drain for 15 - 30 minutes to release excess moisture.
- While zucchini is draining, chop onion and garlic very fine and sautee both in 1 Tbsp oil, then set aside.
- Chop all the herbs very finely.
- Mix together shredded zucchini, flour, chopped scallions, onion, garlic, beaten eggs and salt & pepper. Divide into 4 bowls.
- In the first bowl add 1/4 cup of parsley & 1/4 cup of parmesan and some red pepper flakes.
- In the second bowl add 1/4 cup of basil & 1/4 cup of feta.
- In the third bowl add 1/4 cup of basil, 1/4 cup of tomatoes, and some fresh rosemary.
- In the fourth bowl add 1/4 cup of tomatoes, 1/4 cup of chopped fresh mozzarella, leftover basil and oregano.
- Mix everything thoroughly.
- In large skillet, heat 2 tbsp coconut oil. Once shimmering, add 1/4 cup scoops from each bowl. Flatten slightly.
- Let cook 3-5 minutes on each side until golden brown and easily flipped.
- Once heated, lay on paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Serve as is or with tomato sauce.